Thursday, December 06, 2007

And the countdown......



is four days. Four days. Four days. Four days until the Led Zeppelin reunion concert in London....... provided Mr. Page doesn't break another finger in the meantime. I hope they know what they are doing by having this concert. Many, many things can go wrong. For starters, Robert Plant does not have the voice he once did. True, after '73 things haven't been the same with his voice anyway, but he still had a great voice for their later songs. But he's almost sixty now, I'd imagine his range isn't even close to where it was in the late 70's. In fact, I read an article confirming my guess... the band decided to transpose the songs to a lower key to "avoid any embarrassing vocal wobbles with the world watching."

The article also mentions that the waters haven't been completely smooth for Jimmy either...... "he is a bit rusty" is what's being reported. Great..... I guess John Paul Jones and Jason Bonham haven't had any problems or at least the article didn't mention any.

However, that said, I am excited about this concert. If they get their "troubles" straightened out and perform an outstanding concert, I think they should have a world tour next year for all their fans. I would try to get a ticket myself if they went to Chicago or someplace like that (and provided it wasn't $500 a ticket.. which it probably would be). If the concert is a bust though, I don't think they should tour unless they do something to improve themselves beforehand.

Every day from now until Sunday (by the time I'd get around to posting Monday they'll have already had the concert) I'm going to put up a few live Zeppelin videos and also a couple rare "bootleg" videos that I've come across... some of which are pretty good in quality. On Sunday I hope to provide everyone with what I think their set list should be.

The first video I'm going to post is 'Immigrant Song'. This was recorded at the LA Forum in 1972 and is the concert Eddie Van Halen attended/got the idea of "tapping" on a guitar. You can hear this song on Zeppelin's live album How the West Was Won or on the Led Zeppelin DVD (which features video footage from the one of the band's Australian concerts).

Second video is 'Black Dog' from what is I'm guessing the Madison Square Garden concerts in 1973. I'm not completely sure if this was on The Song Remains the Same DVD or the Led Zeppelin DVD. Both DVD's have this song from Madison Square Garden so your guess is as good as mine which DVD it's on.

The last video I'm going to post is 'Since I've Been Loving You' at Madison Square Garden in 1973. As with 'Black Dog', this song is on TSRTS and Led Zeppelin DVD's. So I can't tell you which DVD to find this song on either. Oh well, no matter, just enjoy the songs!

2 Comments:

At Friday, December 07, 2007 7:14:00 AM, Blogger Scottius Maximus said...

Angus!

The second video is definitely MSG. The first video is from an outdoor concert- was the music recorded at the Forum?

 
At Friday, December 07, 2007 2:33:00 PM, Blogger Angus G Van Halen said...

Yeah, I knew it was MSG but forgot to change my wording on that. Oh well.

Correct, the video footage is from when Zeppelin played in Australia in 1972 and the audio is from the LA Forum in the same year.

An interesting note is that they played at the Forum two nights and almost everybody that's heard the bootlegs agrees the first night was draw-dropping and the second night was excellent but not quite as good. Despite this, the majority of the songs from HTWWW are from the second concert. You can tell that they put the album together from the two concerts because Plant says "Good Evening!" on two different occasions (first one's after 'Black Dog' and he introduces 'Over the Hills and Far Away' (which at that point was still unreleased) and I think the second is before 'Stairway' but I'm not completely sure about that).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home