Friday, January 26, 2007

St. Louis to host All-Star game in '09

I was just searching for something to write about on Cards Clubhouse and on the Cardinals section of the forum there is a thread about the All-Star game coming to St. Louis. Apparently commisioner Bud Selig (who according to Mike Shannon will go down as the best baseball commisioner in MLB history) made the news on Monday evening at a dinner hosted by the Baseball Writers' Association.

I am happy to see that the Cards get to host another All-Star game finally after all these years. The last time St. Louis had an All-Star game was in 1966 when the old Busch stadium was brand new. Yankees and AL manager Casey Stengel had a nice thought about the new stadium. He said that his impression of Busch Stadium was that "it holds the heat well." Reportedly the temperature on the field was in the 130 degree range. Man, I bet that was one uncomfortable game for everyone there. I have a picture of Jack Buck interviewing Casey down on the field and Jack's wearing a regular ole' suit and smiling like it's a nice 70 degrees.

This is off the topic of St. Louis hosting the game in '09 but I really think that one of the dumbest decisions that the MLB has made was whoever wins the All-Star game gets home-field advantage in the World Series. The only thing I have to say is....... why? I think it should go to the team with the best record. But I'm not in charge so I guess we won't be seeing that rule change anytime soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home