Friday, December 07, 2007

Led Zeppelin, day two

Alrighty, now that I've discussed Pearl Harbor I can move on to posting a few more Zeppelin videos.



First video I'm posting today is 'Rock & Roll', taken from a concert in Sydney, Australia in early 1972. This is the same concert that the footage in the 'Immigrant Song' video I posted yesterday is from, only this is black and white. I'm guessing what you hear at the beginning of this video is the very end of 'Whole Lotta Love' and then the band kicked into 'Rock & Roll'. This isn't necessarily one of Jimmy's best performances but it's still a video worth seeing.

Second video is 'In My Time of Dying' at Earl's Court in 1975. This is Led Zeppelin's take of an old blues number and it's a rare treat to see Jimmy Page playing slide guitar. His playing is incredible; in fact, I like this live version better than the studio version on Physical Graffiti. A bit of Zeppelin trivia here: The band played five concerts at Earl's Court and many people rank those five concerts as possibly the best concerts Zeppelin ever performed.

And the last video for today is 'Nobody's Fault But Mine' at Knebworth in 1979. This song was probably the most popular song off Presence with the exception of 'Achilles Last Stand'. The riff and a good portion of the lyrics were taken from an American blues singer named Blind Willie Johnson, who recorded it almost fifty years before Led Zeppelin did. This song is also one of the last songs to feature Plant's fine harmonica playing.

All three of these songs can be found on the Led Zeppelin DVD.

2 Comments:

At Friday, December 07, 2007 9:55:00 PM, Blogger Scottius Maximus said...

Angus!

The last two are my favorite songs off "Physical Graffiti" and off "Presence". Nice job picking. Love the harmonica, and of course the slide guitar.

 
At Saturday, December 08, 2007 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Angus G Van Halen said...

It's pretty cool to hear a "harp" (as Englishters call it) wail. Plant was a great player as was Mick Jagger (after learning from Brian Jones). John Lennon wasn't bad either.

I wish I had Jimmy's slide (or one like it) I can't bend my finger enough with mine for it to hit the strings properly

 

Post a Comment

<< Home